Washoe County ‘eComment’ Speak Up
August 7, 2023 | Member Submitted
Washoe County is making public participation easier and more convenient for our residents. Citizens can learn about ongoing projects and programs by accessing meeting agenda items, sharing comments on topics they care about, and learning more about what’s happening in and around Washoe County by watching Board of County Commission videos on demand.
How to access agenda items, Comment, and Register to Speak:
1. Sign In (upper right). If you haven’t created a profile, you can create up by clicking Sign Up (upper right).
2. Click on the Meetings tab in the top menu.
3. Look for the Board meeting, then click on the agenda item you would like to comment on.
4. Click eComment to provide electronic public comment and/or,
5. Click on Register to Speak to get in line to offer public comment in person.
6. To indicate your position on the agenda item, click Support, Oppose, or Neutral.
Washoe County residents can now comment on agenda items electronically through eComment and/or offer public comment in-person on an agenda item or at the end of the Commission meeting. Both eComments and in-person public comment will be processed as public record.
1. SpeakUp: SpeakUp is an inclusive online tool that allows residents to:
· Provide public comment electronically through eComment*
· Review agenda item details,
· Indicate their position on an agenda item. Residents have the option to express their opinion on specific agenda items (Support, Oppose, or Neutral).
· Register to Speak – This service is available to those who want to be first in the queue to offer public comment in person at an upcoming meeting. By signing up online, speakers also avoid the line to sign up at the meeting.
· and access videos of previous Board of County Commission meetings
*eComments are limited to 2250 characters (the approximate equivalent of 3 minutes of public comment). eComments can be submitted when the agenda is released, three (3) business days prior to the meeting. eComments will be accepted through to 4 pm the day prior to the board meeting.
2. Live Public Comment: Citizens may provide live public comment on an agenda item at the end of the commission meeting. Comments are limited to three minutes per person. There are two ways to sign up for public comment:
a. Residents can Register to Speak in advance of the meeting. Those who sign up through Register to Speak are placed in the queue ahead of those who sign up for public comment during the meeting. Those who use Register to Speak agree to present during the meeting time. During the meeting, those registered will be called to speak by name. The Register to Speak option is no longer available once the meeting begins.
b. And/or residents can submit a comment card during the meeting, available at the Public Comment desk near the Chamber doors.
**The agenda for each County Commission meeting is prepared and scheduled by the Office of the County Manager and is available for distribution on the Thursday before the next Tuesday’s meeting.