NDOT SR 431-28 Tahoe Project Early May Update
May 10, 2023 | Member Submitted
Traffic Control on SR 28
The third construction season of State Route 431 and 28 improvements is underway, and work along SR 28 will begin Monday, May 8, weather dependent.
Beginning May 8 at 7 a.m., crews will begin installing ITS conduit along SR 28 through Incline Village (Northwood Blvd. to Ponderosa Ranch Rd.) Drivers can expect the following:
- Traffic will be reduced to a single lane through the work zone.
- Bicyclists and vehicles will be required to share the same lane; Pedestrians follow detour signage.
- Side streets in the work zone will be temporarily closed at SR 28. Follow detour signage. Side street closures will change every few days as work progresses through the intersections.
- Speed reduced to 25MPH through the work zone.
Working hours are daytime only from Mondays through Fridays 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. All work is weather permitting and excludes major holidays.
Drivers can expect multiple work zones and up to 30-minute delays with single lane, flagger-controlled closures.
Traffic Control on SR 431 (Mt. Rose Hwy)
Crews are moving in equipment and conducting work on the shoulders of SR 431 to prepare for final paving.
During the next few weeks, drivers can expect the following for traffic control on the highways.
- Commercial vehicles are prohibited from traveling westbound SR 431 over Mt. Rose Summit during working hours, school buses are exempt. Working hours are daytime only from Mondays through Fridays 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. All work is weather permitting and excludes major holidays.
- Shoulder closures will occur.
- Speed reduced to 35MPH through the work zone.
Other Neighboring Projects
Your understating and patience is appreciated as we are all working to improve highways throughout the Tahoe Basin.
Here’s a list of neighboring construction projects near or within our work zones that may also impact traffic:
- Southwest Gas and its contractor, Q&D Construction, are working on a gas line replacement project between Tahoe City and Kings Beach.
- NDOT will be doing maintenance work on turn pockets located on the Reno side of Mt. Rose Hwy. Work will be primarily conducted on the side of the highway with minimal impacts to traffic.
- Granite Construction will be working at Marlette Creek with IVGID on an effluent pipeline.
- The Forest Service and their contractor will be widening the Secret Beach parking lot and adding 100 parking spaces.